The Carrier of the Mark
By Leigh Fallon

I eagerly anticipated The Carrier of the Mark as I was longing to read a paranormal romance with an Irish setting. I was not disappointed the author’s own Irish roots were evident as the language and landscape were pitch-perfect. Leigh made clever use of Irish mythology and history while at the same time giving the background detail of the story a unique edge that is all her own.
The novel tells the tale of Megan; newly arrived in Ireland who is instantly drawn to Adam de Ris and his family who seem to have strange magical abilities. Soon Megan discovers a magical heritage all of her own. I was glad to see that the author had avoided the vampires and angels which are currently saturating the market in favour of a more unique story.
The characters are well drawn and the writing style is confident and assured. As the book ends before all of Megan’s powers are explored I assume that there will be a sequel. I look forward to more from this author and the world that she has created for her characters.

Reviewed by Lisa Doyle-Redmond

Comments