Blogger Feature Moya Hodgers

My Author Feature will be returning next week and I apologise for the long absence. For now I have a new feature to introduce you to other Irish bloggers. starting this week with Moya Hodgers. Here's some information about Moya who writes about books, film, tv,parenting and writing.

Moya Hodgers - Would be writer.....

When someone asks you to to write a little bit about yourself, and your writing, one should be pleased, nay flattered. Shouldn’t one?? Not me. The moment I am asked to explain or describe anything about myself my mind immediately goes blank, my hands all sweaty and I blush so much you could fry an egg on my cheek. Lets just say self-confidence is not one of my strong points.
But that is indeed the task ahead of me, as requested by the lovely Lisa Redmond. So here goes…

Name - Moya Hodgers
Location - Physically…. Dundalk, Co Louth. Mentally….it depends on the day!
Occupation: Full time mother of 3, Wife to a very patient husband, and part time customer assistant in a large retailer. 
Desired Occupation - Full time writer. 

I’m 39 & 1/2 and have had several careers spanning the last 25 years from childminding, working in a fast food joint, a factory, IT in a stockbrokers, and last full time occupation until March of 2014 was a banker. BUT WAIT…before you decide to hate me, I was a mere cog in the wheel of turmoil on the banking floor. I did not give millions out in loans, I did not swindle the tax payer, I too am facing financial ruin because of the economic doom that is Ireland, so please have a heart and read on. 

I don’t know when I decided I want to be a writer. Probably only in recent years as I have realised it is the only thing that makes me truly happy. My problem is I have trouble believing I am any good!  I have a blog, called justcallmemam.wordpress.com. Please pop by if you fancy a look. Generally I write opinion pieces about life as a mother, politics or anything that is just annoying me/ affects me in general. I am also beginning to enjoy twitter (believe me it took a while and I am still getting the hang of it!). You can follow me on @MoyaHodgers if you like, I would really like that! Or if you’re a Facebook user you will also find me there under the highly recognisable name Moya Hearty Hodgers.

My reading preferences are pretty eclectic. Growing up I was a huge Roald Dahl & Enid Blyton fan, while also escaping to the worlds of Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott and Emily Bronte, depending on my mood. During my romantic 20’s I was saved from depression on many occasions by Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Deirdre Purcell and Cathy Kelly. And when my mood was not so jolly, I opted for some Patricia Cornwall and Stephen King. 

Nowadays I have discovered Louise Phillips, JoJo Moyes, Emma Donoghue and I am a self confessed Cecilia Ahern fan. So like I said, pretty eclectic! 

If I had one wish, it would be to write for a living, but very few can actually achieve that. I have a completed 1st novel which no one wants just yet, but I’m working on it. In the mean time I will keep reading, blogging, tweeting and reaching out to those who will listen in the hope that I make someone smile/reflect when they read what I have to say. Writing has saved me on more than one occasion. Not just from a bad day, but from the days when it was impossible to see yourself making it to tomorrow. It has been my saviour. For that I am grateful. I owe writing my life, that is why I can never leave it. 

Thanks for reading,
Moya




Comments